Website Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Facilities Architect – 94138
Berkeley Lab’s Facilities Division has an opening for a Facilities Architect to join their Engineering Team!
In this role, you will participate in all phases of project execution from concept development, through design and execution of complex engineering and architecture projects designed to improve operational performance, reduce cost, enhance safety and achieve compliance at Berkeley Lab. As the Facilities Architect, your role will be to provide technical guidance and direction to the Lab’s stakeholders, A/E subcontractors, and serve as the subject matter expert (SME) for multiple projects.
What You Will Do:
• Conduct architectural analysis and design for buildings, research laboratories, and site systems based on user criteria and institutional requirements.
• Meet with researchers to determine project design requirements.
• Collaborate with Campus Planning Department, Facility Managers, and Cost Estimators to develop scope and budget estimates.
• Provide design and partner with A/E consultant to develop design and construction documents.
• Perform design reviews to ensure that design packages prepared by A/E consultants meet the programmatic intent, functionality, and operating requirements as established by the project design requirements.
• Advise project team members and leadership on issues and concepts pertaining to compliance with accessibility codes, standards, and policies including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Architectural Barriers Act (ABA), University of California (UC), and the California Building Code (CBC).
• Provide construction inspection of architectural components to ensure conformance to project design requirements, architectural standards, building codes, and project specifications.
• Resolve technical issues and review comments on construction documents, RFIs and project submittals.
What Is Required:
• A Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent knowledge/training) in Architecture (or a closely related discipline) and a minimum of 5 years of directly relevant hands-on experience performing construction phase architectural services including developing construction documents, conducting site inspections, resolving drawing conflicts, responding to RFIs, and preparing supplemental instructions.
• Experience developing construction documents (drawings and specifications) for projects involving research laboratories, office buildings, and conference centers.
• Extensive knowledge of accessibility standards issued under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Architectural Barriers Act (ABA), and the California Building Code (CBC).
• Ability to obtain registration as a Licensed Architect in the State of California within 3 years.
• Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills including experience collaborating with and advising management.
• Excellent interpersonal skills including experience effectively working across organizational and institutional boundaries on multiple projects with varying priorities and tight concurring deadlines.
• Must have the ability to climb ladders and perform site walk-thru, at times around hazardous systems and equipment, to investigate as-built conditions, to inspect construction, equipment, systems, and structures.
What We Prefer:
• Licensed Architect in the State of California.
• Certified Access Specialist (CASp).
For full consideration, please apply by November 9, 2021 with a Resume.
• This is a full time career appointment, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid).
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• Based on University of California Policy – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be performed onsite at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at https://lbl.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=94138 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The Facilities Division (FAC, https://commons.lbl.gov/display/fac/Home) serves as a key strategic and operational partner in the planning of current and future maintenance and infrastructure to support the capacity of ongoing operational needs enabling scientific research at Berkeley Lab. We provide 24-hour high-quality support services to ensure the continuity of scientific research opportunities and operational innovation.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here (http://www.lbl.gov/HR/html/Employment/total-rewards.html).
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com