Website Sally Swanson Architects, Inc.
Senior CASp Specialist and Project Manager
Everyone deserves a chance to participate from the school yard to the world stage. This is the driving idea behind the work of Sally Swanson Architects, Inc. (SSA). It is an idea made evident in the design of exceptional educational facilities and civic buildings, in sensitive, barrier-free architecture and planning solutions that fully support the needs of every individual using each space.
The Senior Certified Access Specialist (CASp) and Project Manager position is in San Francisco, California. We are looking for someone both ICC, CASp certified. Architecture license may be in progress.
Founded in 1980, this 15-person, award-winning architecture and planning firm is known for work that meets clients’ goals with precision and creativity while exhibiting a heightened attention to the needs of people with disabilities.
SSA offers complete architectural services from concept development through construction administration and enjoys statewide recognition as one of the foremost providers of access compliance services. Additionally, SSA has consistently led the industry in applying the concepts of Universal Design to real architectural solutions. Emphasizing attention to detail in all aspects of a project — from the cost estimate to the selection of materials — SSA has had great success on even the narrowest budgets, creating distinctive spaces that provide enjoyment and pleasure to the people they serve.
The Senior CASp Specialist and Project Manager leads all access compliance projects and evaluates compliance with accessibility standards for new construction and alterations, barrier removal issues, and program accessibility; provides highly technical and professional architectural assistance to senior staff by conducting onsite surveys and reviews of buildings and facilities, by conducting critical reviews of architectural plans, specifications and photographic evidence of accessibility; prepares senior staff to work with experts; assists in developing technical assistance materials and guidance.
The Senior CASp Specialist and Project Manager keeps current with the latest developments concerning accessibility in buildings and facilities, construction, and related disciplines by reviewing technical, trade, and government publications and online forums, attending technical conferences or professional meetings, and maintaining membership in professional organizations.
Successful applicant will perform other project managerial duties as assigned.
(1) Thorough knowledge of, and experience in interpreting and applying the Department of Justice Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations including the Standards for Accessible Design.
(2) Significant knowledge of the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988, and the California Building Code (CBC), and their interrelationships particularly with respect to accessibility requirements.
(3) Ability to conduct surveys of existing facilities and to evaluate plans and drawings for compliance with accessibility standards for new construction and alterations along with the ability to evaluate accessibility to individuals with disabilities and recommend methods and modifications for improving accessibility.
(4) Thorough knowledge of technical and scoping provisions of ADA, FHAA and ABA standards and the CBC.
(5) Ability to prepare written evaluations and reports that require strong writing skills and knowledge of relevant codes and standards plus the ability to describe complex concepts in lay terms.
(6) Ability to balance tasks on multiple projects simultaneously, to switch tasks quickly responding to a variety of demands, and to work with a wide variety of people.
(7) Ability to organize, store and locate evidence, text and graphic data and other relevant information in very large files and collections of files.
(8) Ability to evaluate proposed settlement and mediation documents to recommend negotiated resolutions for outstanding investigations.
(9) Knowledge and ability to propose changes to current buildings and facilities utilizing current building construction methods and technologies used for a range of public and private facilities.
(10) Ability to manage people and projects. Project management requires preparing project cost estimates and timelines, allocating/assigning necessary resources to project and delivering project in the desired timeframe and within budget.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com