Website Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. The candidate will have the opportunity to take the lead on inspiring and innovative open space projects. The ideal candidate will have a strong landscape design background and proven success managing all facets of a project.
- Supports and strengthens SOM’s firm vision, goals and values.
- Solves complex problems in connection with the open space design of large-scale projects.
- Develops landscape design concepts incorporating site planning, landscape design, site grading and infrastructure systems.
- Responsible for various portions of master plan and site plan development documents
- Works with the Design Director as the primary design interface with clients, consultants, contractors, and others during various stages of project development.
- Manages work within teams and coordinates with other disciplines on multiple project assignments and guides and encourages the development of staff.
- Participates proactively in international / domestic marketing and business development efforts.
- Master Degree in Landscape Design, Urban Design or Architecture. Licensure required; ASLA and /or LEED accreditation are a plus.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible project experience in the urban design and physical planning profession for projects both internationally and in North America, including 5 years of experience running a team.
- A strong design ethos consistent with the core principles of SOM’s City Design Practice.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent Mandarin Chinese and English is desirable.
- Established track-record of high profile, award-winning urban design projects.
- Thorough knowledge of landscape design, construction, detailing, stormwater management, infrastructure and utility planning, and sustainable design practices required.
- A dynamic, creatively-focused and efficient approach.
- Compelling communication and engaging client liaison skills.
- Excellent people management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively.
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-pace, highly creative working environment is essential.
- Proven success in business development with positive results.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Autocad, Rhino, MS Office / G Suite, and Adobe CS skills is required.
- Hand-sketching ability is highly desirable.
- International travel will be required.
How to Apply:
Thank you for your interest in SOM. To be considered, you must apply directly on our career portal. Click here to apply.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM’s employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.