Website William Duff Architects
William Duff Architects (WDA) is looking for a Designer with 1-3+ years of experience to join our firm. We are an award-winning, inclusive architecture firm, comprised of bright, creative, motivated people. Built as a people-based practice, we were recognized as the only architecture firm to make it on the San Francisco Business Times Best Places to Work List (2020, 2022). With capabilities in multiple sectors, we specialize in residential, workplace, hospitality, and retail across the Bay Area and beyond. We offer competitive salaries, full benefits, a transit-friendly brand-new workplace, and opportunities for professional growth.
WDA is passionate about serving our clients through the creation of innovative, sustainable architecture delivered through excellent project management.
- Communication – We believe sharing ideas in a respectful, collaborative environment is essential to success.
- Creativity – We overcome challenges through unique and innovative solutions.
- Transparency – We conduct our work with openness, honesty, and integrity.
- Excellence – We strive for excellence in all facets of our work.
- Growth – We promote the continuous improvement of our firm, projects, processes, and people.
You know you’re the right person if you:
- Want a supportive, fun, comfortable, and efficient office environment
- Thrive in a friendly and creative team.
- Thrive in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Have a learning mindset and embrace a good challenge – yes please!
- Want to grow your skills and career!
- Competitive salaries based on experience
- 100% employer sponsored health, dental, vision & life insurance
- 401K retirement plan
- Profit Sharing (401K)
- Hybrid Work Schedule (In office & local work from home)
- Combined PTO
- 9 paid holidays (includes 2 employee choice holidays)
- 5 Remote workdays
- Annual stipend for professional development
- Mentorship program
- Architectural licensure support – AXP & ARE
- Ergonomic sit-stand workstations
- Food and wellness perks
- Quarterly office outings
- Summer hours
- Weekly happy hours
- In-house bicycle parking and shower
- Commuter benefits
- Retail discount program
Qualifications and Skills:
- 1-3+ years of relevant experience working in an architecture office.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Critical and creative thinker with strong design ability and attention to detail.
- Proficient in Revit, with experience in producing visualizations preferred.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and Bluebeam.
- Strong writing, editing, organizational, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in the architectural/engineering industry.
- Interest in green building technologies, products, and net-zero design strategies.
- Receptive to coaching, with the ability to learn from constructive feedback and apply it to future work.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Architecture from a four-year college, university, or equivalent; or five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Documenting experience under the NCARB Architectural Experience Program (AXP) and actively pursuing licensure required. Licensure, LEED AP, and additional certifications encouraged.
About the position (major responsibilities):
- Exercise your creativity by hand and digitally. Do both! Prepare thoughtful and quality design illustrations or sketches and create digital models that accurately communicate projects’ design ideas, goals, and potential solutions.
- We may have a great design, but how would others know about it without quality communication and information? Produce well-coordinated, accurate, and thorough project drawing sets by developing design and technical drawings, and researching relevant information.
- It looks great, but the building has to work! Conduct, communicate, and document thorough code and product research for the project team.
- Stay organized! Assist in maintaining well-organized digital and physical project files.
- Find the right stuff! Source material/project samples, obtain cost estimates, and develop strong vendor relationships.
- Build the project team’s knowledge base. Take notes and prepare meeting minutes that accurately and efficiently summarize important findings, information, decisions, and action items.
- Move the project forward. Participate in in-person meetings and work to meet project teams’ goals and creative problem-solving needs. Work with senior staff to evaluate individual project needs and coordinate with consultants.
- Help the team get it built! Participate in site visits based on project needs and accurately document relevant issues, decisions, and action items for the project team.
- Explore the unknown and see the possibilities: foster a collaborative team approach through project process and professional connections.
Hybrid Schedule. We are in the office as a team from Tuesdays through Thursdays. Mondays and Fridays are in office optional (local work from home available Mondays and Fridays).
Please submit the following in PDF form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (not to exceed 4MB), and include the job title in the subject line:
- A cover letter articulating why you could be a good fit at WDA, and a bit about your personal design inspirations and aspirations
- Relevant work samples (including example of hand sketches)
- How you heard about WDA
No drop-in visits or phone calls, please. WDA is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer (AA/EOE). Candidates must be eligible to work full-time in the United States. Immigration or work visa sponsorship will not be provided.
Protect our team, protect our community: WDA requires our team members to be fully vaccinated (up-to-date) against COVID-19. If you are hired, vaccination verification documents will be required to complete the hiring process successfully.
LinkedIn Page: william-duff-architects-inc-
Instagram Page: wdarch_inc
Facebook Page: williamduffarchitects